Per Connolly: O's intensifying interest in Morales (Roch says he's hearing no)

VeveJones007

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Orioles have intensified their interest in Kendrys Morales since the Jimenez signing: <a href="http://t.co/5PvFCiIn22">http://t.co/5PvFCiIn22</a></p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">February 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Connolly's article:

Since signing right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez, the Orioles have intensified their interest in free agent designated hitter Kendrys Morales, according to a source.

The Orioles have been linked to the switch-hitting designated hitter throughout the offseason, but didn't appear to be in serious negotiations previously. That pursuit seemingly has increased in seriousness, the source said, due to two developments.

If they were to sign Morales now, the Orioles would surrender their second-rounder, roughly the 55th selection overall in 2014, which obviously is not as coveted as a first-round (or supplemental) pick.

Secondly, a shorter deal with an opt-out for Morales is potentially available for the Orioles now. Previously it was thought that the 30-year-old Morales was seeking a four- or five-year deal only, but now it appears that a two-year deal with an opt out after the first season could be in play.

One other thing that makes an opt-out contract with the Orioles logical is that if Morales were to leave the Orioles after a strong 2014 campaign, the club would undoubtedly offer him a qualifying offer. If Morales rejected it ? which he obviously would if he were choosing to opt out ? the Orioles would get a compensation pick after the first round the following year.

So essentially they would be moving up from a second-round pick in 2014 to a compensatory pick in 2015.

For me, I don't want either of Morales or Cruz for more than 2 years. The more options Dan has to tweak his payroll year-to-year, the better chance we have at extending Machado, Davis, Tillman, etc.

Hopefully 2 years is all it takes but I would be ok with an option for a third.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kendrys Morales hit .364 with .972 OPS against AL East opponents and has 400 Career hits with 1100 OPS in Baltimore ... <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kendrys Morales hit .364 with .972 OPS against AL East opponents and has 400 Career hits with 1100 OPS in Baltimore ... <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) <a href="

He means a .400 career average here. He definitely doesn't have 400 hits at OPACY.

I am sure that the caliber of pitching he was facing had as much to do with his success at OPACY then the stadium itself.

Archived